10 Things Not to Say at Thanksgiving
Make your holiday a happy one. Based on my experience and extensive research, here are the top 10 questions to avoid this Thanksgiving Day.
- So, who did you vote for?
- When are you two getting married?
- When are you gonna have a kid/another kid or when are you gonna stop having kids? (basically stay away from all talk of people’s sex lives and reproductive choices)
- Do you have a job yet?
- How can you stand living in the big city/out in the country/in that tiny apt/in that giant house?
- Should you really be eating that second piece of pie?
- Hey, remember when you did that horribly embarrassing/gross/immoral thing that everyone has forgotten about and some people don’t even know? Let’s talk about that!
- So, you really don’t eat any meat? You’re not even going to taste the turkey?
- How is your ex doing?
- Would you like to hear all about what Plexus/Limelight/Young Living can do for you?
Avoid asking these questions and your guests will be thankful for you…plus studies (mine) show that you’ll increase your odds of Happy Thanksgiving by at least 50 percent.
Rev. Anne Russ is an ordained pastor in the Presbyterian Church (USA), currently based in New York City. Doubting Believer provides tools and encouragement for the rollercoaster ride of your faith journey. Follow me on Facebook , Instagram and YouTube. You can also follow on TikTok. Get emails to keep up with all that is happening.