Dumplin’ is one of the latest original movies to hit Netflix. I watched it this weekend, and here are just five of the reasons I love it.
Note: all spoilers are thematic. No actual plot points revealed.
- It centers around the wisdom of Dolly Parton…and its soundtrack is chock full of her music. Dolly and I practice the same kind of Christianity–one that leans hard on faith and loving people (including yourself).
- When one of the characters is told something is a bad idea, her reply is, “All my favorite things start off as bad ideas.” Truth. So many awesome things have been done or achieved that started off as bad ideas.
- There are drag queens. Nobody teaches you how to celebrate you or, as Dolly would say, “decide who you are and be it on purpose” like a drag queen can. We can all learn a lot from drag queens–beyond some fabulous makeup tips.
- There is loss and grief. I’m weird. I love a good dealing-with-grief theme, as I think we, as a society, do a pretty lousy job handling grief. We need examples. We need to see that other people experience the same things we do when someone we love dies.
- It passes the Bechdel test–there are two women characters who talk to each other about something other than a man. Actually, this happens more than once.
Bonus (slight spoiler): there is reconciliation. Redemption and reconciliation are my favorite themes in a story, and there is more than one story of the latter in this movie.
It’s definitely worth a watch.
Are you following Doubting Believer on Facebook? Keep up with us there.